70 ways to use less plastic
Plastic has become one of the most harmful materials in our environment.
From polluting oceans and harming wildlife, to filling up landfills for decades without decomposing this material is having devastating effects on our planet.
GUIDE TO USE LESS PLASTIC
1. Bring a reusable shopping bag.
2. Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bag.
3. Shop at the farmers market ( Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.)
4. Bring back the milkman so that you can buy milk in a glass bottle, so you return or fill it again.
5. Buy drinks in glass bottles or use refillable containers
6. Buy wine in glass bottles and with natural corks
7. Bring your own container when buying deli meat & cheeses
8. Buy from bulk bins as often as possible
9. Request zero plastic pacings when ordering online
10. Bring your own travel mug (cut out all beverages in plastic bottles )
11. Carry reusable utensils and containers to work
12. Carry lunch and other meals in a reusable container
13. Cut out frozen meals
14. Use a reusable straw
15. Eat out not in, if you order food it always comes in plastic packaging
16. When ordering pizza, say no to the little plastic "table" in the middle of the pizza box.
17. Say goodbye to chewing gum. All chewing gum is made of plastic. But plastic-free chewing gum options do exist.
18. Compost your food waste
19. Use clove oil to clean the bathroom (mold killer)
20. Clean with vinegar and water. I use a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 3 21. parts water as an all-purpose spray cleaner
22. Use a dish brush with a wooden handle and compostable bristles
23. Use a mop with a metal bucket and handle
24. Baking soda is a fantastic scouring powder.
25. Switch to bar soap instead of liquid soap for hand wash dishes ( you can also use baking soda )
26. If you already own a Swiffer mop, try switching to a reusable pad.
27. Use natural rubber gloves.
28. Wash your clothes with homemade laundry soap and stain removers. Look for soap nuts in plastic-free packaging.
29. Compost food waste to avoid plastic garbage bags (and keep organics out of the landfill.)
30. Choose a glass blender
31. Buy a glass and or stainless steel containers for food storage
32. Use powdered dishwasher detergent in a cardboard box.
33. Choose stainless steel ice cube trays and popsicle molds.
34. Use bar soap to wash hands and body
35. Use bar soap instead of shaving cream
36. Use a wooden hairbrush with natural bristles
37. Use hankies or compostable toilet paper to wipe your nose
38. Buy plastic-free toothpaste, or create your own tooth powder or
39. homemade toothpaste
40. Use a bamboo toothbrush or a toothbrush with recyclable heads
41. Use eco-friendly dental floss
42. Color hair with henna purchased without plastic packaging.
43. Baking soda is the best deodorant EVER.
44. Choose lotions and lip balms in plastic-free containers. ( or make your own and put it in a glass container )
45. Choose toilet paper that's not wrapped in plastic.
46. use eco-friendly menstruation products ( like organic cups )
47. Use a razor with removable blades when they get dull
48. don't buy new CDs and DVDs, we all have Netflix and Spotify, right?
49. Buy electronics secondhand whenever possible.
50. recycle your old phones
51. Repair things when they break.
52. Pick up waste using old newspaper
53. Use glass or stainless steel food/water bowls
54. Choose pet toys and furniture made from natural material or Buy secondhand pet supplies instead of new ones.
55. Buy your pet food in bulk from a stock feed store or Learn to make homemade pet food without using plastic.
56. Use a natural cat/pet litter.
57. Compost your pet waste in your garden
Products to avoid
58. Buy a real tree for Christmas instead of a fake one
59. Find ways to wrap gifts without plastic tape.
60. Don't forget your headphones on the airplane.
61. Don't buy water filter cartridges unless necessary.
62. Avoid disposable plastic pens.
63. Put a "No Junk Mail" sticker on your mailbox
64. Switch to paperless billing
65. Shop at thrift stores ( also for furniture )
66. Make your own clothes
67. Avoid buying new plastic clothing
68. Look for plastic-free shoes
69. Alter and modify old garments into new ones
70. and last but not least, BUY TET ( made from recycled plastic )